Thursday 3 May 2012

New Diet called rest of mind.




'Ijeoma, listen to me when I tell you stuff. You really don’t know much so you sit back, relax and
learn'. These were the words I told her. 'Even if I didn’t go to the university, Ola, your definition
is wrong'. I wondered what she was talking about. Could she be correct? Am I actually falling
into a trap? Oh my, she got me thinking for real. I picked up my blackberry and when straight to
the installed dictionary to look up the definition of the phrase 'Balanced Diet'. 'Balanced diet is a
diet, consisting of the proper quantities and proportions of foods needed to maintain health or
growth.These consist of carbohydrate, protein, fats and oil, water, vitamins and minerals'. 'Yes,
Ijeoma, I was so right. I told you its complete'. 'What about rest of mind?', She asked. What has
rest of mind got to do with balanced diet? 'Ola, ever since I've known you,I have observed your
dire interest in matters that concern food.You know good food and drinks when you see them and
you don't hesitate to feast upon them.I have been praying for you to respond to this propensity by
gaining some weight but you have ever remained skinny. 'Point of correction, I’m slim and thanks for the compliment.' I said with a wry of smile.




Throughout the night, Ijeoma’s words kept echoing in my head. I love food relentlessly perhaps
because it is necessary for our survival. Even the cave man in premodial times did a lot to obtain
food for himself including the act of immitation and disguise to hunt down game.Our forefathers
actually lived longer lives and this is contrary to the present statusquo. But what would be the
cause?Personally,I have come to observe that civilization has done us more harm than good. All we do is work, work, work and less time for relaxation. People who go on vacations spend more time sightseeing, shopping,visiting families and friends and have no time to rest their busy bodies. Certain groups of individuals including ballerinas, models, fashionistas, some celebrities, anorexic girls among others just don’t seem to like food at all. How can I see a slice of creamy,coconut topping,cookie cake made by Cookie Jar and say no? All in the bid to keep fit and healthy,they disassociate themselves from one of the best things of life : Food. But there are definately some healthy ways one can have his three square meals a day without the fear of getting out of shape or something.On the other hand,there abound another set of individuals in opposition to the aforementioned categories. They include the likes of me, chefs, burnouts, connoisseurs, foodies, some growing children among others.These people are interested in exploring the world of food without holdingback.They love,know good food and are not afraid of experimenting bizzare or culturally alienated dishes.


Food is very much part of our culture and it is such an inestimable one that we hardly get through
a whole day without encountering it. Breakfast is also very important meal for everyone.It will aid
in the proper functioning of the brain and the general physiology. If we force growing kids to have
breakfast, we should also learn to have some too..For those who think food is the enemy,its ok to
watch ones weigh but people should be careful not to take it over the top and constitute problems
for themselves.You can always eat light but balanced meals and perhaps a little work out. Please always have time to REST. ITS VERY IMPORTANT.

No comments:

Post a Comment